MORE than 2.2 kilometres of new footpaths in nine locations will be constructed by Cairns Regional Council this financial year with $1 million being allocated as part of the Active Travel – New Footpath Program.
The program has a focus on completing connections and addressing high priority “missing footpath” links to complete gaps in the primary pedestrian network.
There is an emphasis on connecting key services, such as schools, aged care facilities and shopping centres, improving safety, addressing areas of high concern within the community, and improving accessibility to bus stops and other local destinations.
Where possible, the footpaths align with other road projects to increase efficiencies in the design and delivery and also limit local resident and network disruptions through a consolidated project delivery.
The program supports current and future projects, including the Wangetti Trail, by delivering better accessibility via a coordinated approach.
Sites to be delivered as part of the 2023/24 program are:
- English St, Manunda, from Hoare St to Wilkinson St (350m)
- Shannon Dr, Bayview Heights, from Anderson Rd to Windarra St (508m)
- Lennon St, Westcourt, from Tills St to Alfred St (248m)
- Hoare St, Manunda, from Keirnan St to Clarke St (167m)
- Clifton Rd, Clifton Beach, from Arlington Esp to 8 Clifton Rd (55m)
- Old Smithfield Rd, Freshwater, from Kamerunga Rd to Clearwater St (250m)
- McGregor St and Moody St, Manoora, from Irene St to existing footpath (277m)
- Riverstone Rd, Gordonvale, from the Bruce Highway to Church St (250m)
- Cedar Rd, Palm Cove, from the Captain Cook Highway to 87 Cedar Rd (140m)