BUSINESS owners in the hospitality and catering industry are being urged to put gas safety on their menu, as a new campaign launches in time for the busy holiday period.
It comes after Resources Safety and Health Queensland (RSHQ) spotted an alarming trend among small business owners, where DIY repairs are being performed on gas cooking equipment instead of using a licensed gas fitter.
RSHQ gas inspectors are handing out fire blankets to small hospitality and catering businesses across Queensland over the coming weeks, sparking a conversation about gas safety.
The fire blankets feature a QR code which when scanned, takes the user to RSHQ’s website for information on the correct and safe installation of gas appliances.
RSHQ inspector Paul Beaumont said the aim of the campaign is to raise awareness and change behaviour.
“Only a few months ago we saw an explosion in a commercial kitchen in Robina where the worker was injured, and it could have been much worse,” he said.
“We’ve investigated other incidents where people have received lifelong scarring, and someone was even blinded by a gas explosion in Queensland, simply because they did not take the time to have gas appliances installed by a licensed gas fitter.”
“The aim of our new educational campaign is to raise awareness and change behaviour, particularly in small businesses so they prioritise gas safety and hire a licensed professional to do any gas repairs or installations.”
Minister for Resources Scott Stewart said the campaign is lifesaving.
“Education will prevent injuries and so it’s vital that all businesses brush up on gas safety and make sure their facilities are safe,” he said.
“I would urge all hospitality and catering business owners in Queensland to make sure they get professional and qualified people to do the job, and put gas safety on their menu this month.”
Keep up with the latest news in Cairns and the Far North, and check out some of our top stories this week: Crash witnesses needed and Sibling entrepreneur duo take over Cairns events scene.